7300

Some days are better than others. This is an 'others' day. Actually, this in an 'others' week.

All three boys have been sick at some point this week. Dylan was coughing so badly on Thursday that he was vomiting. Zane is in the thick of it right now. Kobe is mostly better.

Dwayne had a hockey coaching thing to go to in the city this weekend. That left me by myself with 3 sick children.

This is happening at the same time that the two oldest are enjoying a fighting and teasing spree such as we have yet to experience. It is constant. Constant. Really.

They are wearing me down. I am tired. I am frustrated.

I don't care what the 'experts' say. I'm pretty sure they are doing this on purpose. I can imagine them huddled in a corner together, whispering, "I bet she runs away from home in 3 days." "I give 'er 2, tops."

When I took the children to church this morning, a subtle thought went through my head that told me I was crazy to attempt it, given the week we've had. I should have listened...I didn't. Zane coughed the whole time, I had to take Dylan out 3 times for a talking to, Kobe was whiny and fidgety - I didn't get a thing out of the service. We managed to accomplish one thing - disrupting everyone sitting anywhere near us.

Now, we are home and all in quiet time. I need it most of all. Sitting here, thinking about all of this, I started to calculate.

I will have these little guys living in my home for about 20 years from birth. Each year has 365 days. This means I've got 7300 days with them right here with me. That's 7300 days to love them, hug them, train them, discipline them.

Instead of feeling like they're wearing me down, I need to be thankful for those 7300 days. I need to use them and enjoy them.

I feel better now.


10 comments:

Tarasview said...

ah honey... I'm so sorry. I hate weeks like that!

Bobbie-Jo said...

Right on, Amy! Count your (disguised) blessings!

I noticed Mrs. G helping Dylan in the service while you were out. Even though *you* are the mainline trooper, you do have supporters and cheerleaders.

Hope you have a quiet evening.

Queen Bee said...

I hear you! Although I am also really trying to find the good in all the things that are not going so well at this time, when I look deep beyond on crying and moments of self doubt I really find my answers, and one is that I was truly put here to be their mother and that is what matters at the end of the day.My advise to you ... when things are crazy take some time to yourself...do a page of scrapbooking, take a bath or call a friend.

Anonymous said...

Been there, done that!! More times that I care to admit. But in the end, it is a priviledge and a blessing to be a mother. It's hard to remember during weeks like you've had, but at the end of the day, you did remember. We can always count our blessings, if we just remember to think of them. I am so proud of you, my oldest granddaughter. Take care of yourselves and each other and know you are in our thoughts and prayers always. Love Grandma Margaret (& Peter) from California.

Anonymous said...

7300 when you break it down like that...it's not nearly enough time is it?
jb

Renata said...

I hope everyone gets better soon. ( & your weeks calms down). It's tough when everyone's sick.

edie said...

Hang in there Amy and good for you to see the bright side!

Jackie said...

Well, I only have one, so it doesn't compare to having three, but in my own way I've been there, sister. And what a great perspective...I need to remind myself of that more often.

Regarding the Baby Einstein cake...I'd love to share how I did it...but I don't want to hijack your comments to do it. :) Email me at OurMomentsOurMemories at gmail dot com and I'll let you know. :)

raising4boys said...

I feel the same way. Being the Mom is so HARD!! They say the time when they are little goes by fast, but it doesn't seem like it right now. I find myself in tears lately and wanting to run away. And my four year old was telling me to get a job today so it's a mutual feeling. (which made me cry even more, he doesn't know how good he has it with a stay at home mom) Thanks for making me feel that I'm not alone.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

As a mom whose kids are basically grown, I can tell you that I'm so happy for you that you are "getting it," that they won't be there forever. You sound like a wonderful mom in these posts. I bet you are those boys' Queen!