Heavy Heart

Today I have a heavy heart. Dwayne's grandparents sent us an envelope full of newspaper clippings about a guy we know and his run-ins with the law. When we were in highschool, Dwayne didn't hang around with a great crowd. They thought all sorts of things were fun and funny - and they weren't. Lots of partying, drinking, getting rowdy, etc. When we started dating, I was 16 and we hung around with these people as a couple. There were 2 guys in particular that Dwayne was friends with. Dwayne & I were so in love and were on the fairly straight-and-narrow. However, we continued to hang around (and have fun times with) these 2 guys and their kaleidoscope of changing girlfriends. C started to settle down around the time that we got married. He had a nice girlfriend and they had a baby together and seemed like they would continue that way. They both stood up at our wedding. Shortly after our wedding, we lost touch with them. We moved and they had another baby and then split up. Since we moved, we haven't seen them again but have heard things through the grapevine. He has had at least one child since and has been in and out of trouble with the law. The clippings that we received today say that he stole a truck pulling a trailer with a bobcat on it. He is now spending time in jail. My heart is heavy. I know that he was never on the honor roll or a boy scout, but there was something about him that made me think that he'd make it. When we moved, he had made some big, dumb mistakes, but he was young and full of life. We had some serious talks over the years - him & Dwayne & I - and he really had dreams that didn't seem out of reach. I know that it is not too late for him. It won't be easy, but he can still make it. I will be praying that someday he will see the Truth and find the support that he needs to turn his life around. In the meantime, although Dwayne & I don't see him anymore, we will not write him off in our minds. He is a person and he has value. I just pray that someday he sees that.

2 comments:

Bobbie-Jo said...

I put these two in my prayer journal this morning.

bigdodge said...

Wow - I remember them from your wedding. What a sad story. I am always very sad to hear of anyone who is caught up in those terrible drugs. There is no doubt that they ruin lives...