I Quit!

I finally decided to quit accounting. I am continuing to do taxes, as it will keep my mind accounting-sharp and it is for such a brief time with small projects. I gave notice to my last client last week that I am not starting any 2007 accounting. Short notice? I know, and I feel badly about that but I am just too busy. When I had Dylan, I quit my job as Controller at the mill I was working at. I decided to have an accounting practice from my home. I thought it would be the best of both worlds - using my accounting education and skills and being a stay-at-home mom. I worked before Dylan woke up in the morning and while he was napping in the afternoon. It was alot of work, as I also had a house to run and sleeptimes are the best times for doing cleaning, personal finances, etc. When Kobe was born, not much changed. He slept so much that I kept the same loose schedule as I had before. Kobe is not a baby anymore. He is a toddler - a very busy, curious toddler. It is getting to be too much. I can't focus on my family as I would like to and sending them out of the home is not an option for me.

I want to be Wife, Mom & Friend. I want my attention to be focused on these things. It is a financial sacrifice, but well worth the family benefits. Dwayne came home the other day and said that he was so glad that I'd decided to quit and he said, "I can't believe we never thought of this sooner!" It is so great to have his support and he thinks my time and energies are best spent in the home.

Relief...that is my feeling around the whole situation. It must be a good decision.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally can't believe it. You have such a great accounting mind. It sounds like you really needed to quit though so that's good that you did. Enjoy your family.

Anonymous said...

What a great decision if that's what you think you need to do! :)