Organizational Challenges

I used to have a sharp mind. A good memory, great organizational skills - after all, I was an accountant!

That was before diapers, runny noses, endless questions, sleepless nights, goodnight cuddles, skinned knees, kissed owies...

When I had my first child, all of my brain cells either transferred to him or came out with the placenta. I don't know what science says about this, but I've experienced it - and it gets worse with each child!

To compensate with this scatterbrainness, I have had to be on the lookout for organizational tips. Organization just does not come naturally to me anymore. As I come across these, or as I come up with them myself, I will share them. I just know there have to be some of you out there that have experienced the placenta-transfer too!

My first tip is to take a look at http://www.motivatedmoms.com/about-us.html. This is the best 8 bucks I've spent in a while. It is a simple, daily chore list. A small to-do list for each day of the year. I used to find I was playing housekeeping catchup all.day.long. I would clean my house when it was so disgusting I couldn't ignore it any longer or would give up and put socks on so I didn't have to feel the remains of the last seven meals grit from the floor on my bare feet. Now, when I keep up with what's on the list, it doesn't get to the point of being unbearable & overwhelming. Also, when a list is sitting right there in front of me, if I have 5 minutes to do something, I don't spend that 5 minutes trying to think of what to do next.

That's my two cents. BTW, they have not paid me or given me anything free - I just like their system.

4 comments:

raising4boys said...

I love to be organized and I will check out that site.

I came back to tell you I love your blog name. I remember thinking after the last ultra sound that I would be the princess at my house and I was responsible for teaching my boys to respect girls!

Tarasview said...

yep... I used to be smart and organized too :) I totally checked out that site and think I'll do it too! Thanks.

Annika said...

I am a homeschooling mom of three. My husband works many long hours, which leaves my children and I to do most everything around the house. One thing that has helped us is having and implementing chore charts for my self and my children. Example: Tuesday is kitchen day. We fry hamburger, cook and debone chicken, bake bread, dust one wall of cupboards and do a little sorting. Friday's we do all the sheets and some cleaning. My children help clean the garage weekly, pick up toys before they move on to another room to play and are responsible to clean their rooms on Friday. Do they always do things to my 'perfectionism' standard? No, but they are learning. As they grow and I work beside them, they do improve. We often crack up the music or listen to Odyssey. It makes the work more enjoyable. I am planning to do a post soon on what I have learned about children and chores and organizing the home. Good luck!

MathLovingMom4MyBoys said...

Amen, sister! I was one who never made a list, had a great short and long term memory, and felt confident about remembering almost anything. Now, I find myself walking into a room and attempting to remember why I went there in the first place...what was I trying to find in here?? Organization is one of life's necessities when you live in a house full of boys :) Thanks for the site.