Are We Organized Yet?

My tip: I have started leaving my toddler in his booster seat after our meals until I have finished cleaning up our meal.

I used to wipe his hands and face and let him down as soon as he was finished. It didn't work very well. He would wander around while I was cleaning up. Sometimes he tracked crumbs and other remains from the meal around the house. Sometimes he would get into mischief while I was busy. Sometimes he would fight with his brother. Sometimes he would just want attention.

The distractions made my cleanup time drag on. (I often came back into the kitchen an hour later and realized I still hadn't done dishes or even wiped the table.) The messes he made while I was distracted would be another thing I would have to deal with later. I tell ya...it was never-ending. Just to cleanup a meal.

Now, it's quick, it gets done right after our meal and everybody can leave the dining room at the same time.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great tip! I have that booster, I lugged it to the movies yesterday so when my toddler, baby and I watched veggie tales, baby didn't have to be in my lap (hubby was at work) It worked well, plus baby got to eat cheerios!

Renata said...

Good idea - although mine are just on normal chairs, so it won't work for us. I totally understand the feeling - when you walk back into the kitchen only to find the cleaning up that you'd forgotten about waiting - I get distracted too often - I'll just have to look for a solution as well.
Renata :)

Jackie said...

This is a great idea...I need to try it. My little one is pretty squirmy, though, and doesn't love sitting in her booster to begin with, so we'll see how it goes.

raising4boys said...

I do that! I find myself rushing to eat so I can get the dishes done while he is content.

Melissa said...

I believe in doing things like that to help my children be good. Sometimes it requires a little extra something like a toy but we are all happier.

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

I do this too with my daughter...it works like a charm after each meal and she sits and drinks her milk or chats with me. It really helps me a lot!