Things Are Not Always As They Seem

I look out the front door.

The hair goes up on the back of my neck.

There is a van driving very, very slowly past my driveway with his window open. He is talking to my 6-year-old, who is cautiously walking closer to the van. I am about to race out there and see what is going on when my boy comes barrelling back to the house.

"MOM! He said there is a bear next door!" A bear? I thought my boy was about to be stolen, not eaten! I quickly ran out to gather up my 2-year-old and gave a sheepish, but friendly wave to the driver of the van. Just as we were coming into the house, we saw a black bear crossing by the end of our driveway.

I am thankful for the stranger (who may not even be a stranger, but I didn't have my glasses on) who stopped to tell of the danger. I am not, however, impressed that my children will not be able to be outside unless I join them. That sucks!

Sorry, no pictures of the bear. Too busy trying to save the children.

3 comments:

Bobbie-Jo said...

That made my stomach jump. Mrs. L, our teacher, was just telling me this afternoon about a family who experienced a tragedy of similar kind, along with a dire warning to train kids in safety.

What an evil world we live in.

I am so glad yours was a helpful stranger. :)

4funboys said...

wow... what a story!!

This CA girl can't imagine a bear so close to our yard.

Renata said...

A BEAR!!! Oh my goodness!! I cannot even imagine how scary that would be. Keep safe!
Renata :)