Are We Organized Yet?

Our old house had a long counter in the kitchen that separated the kitchen from the living room. Everything collected on that counter. It was the drop-off spot for grubby ball caps, outgoing mail, incoming mail, things to be returned to somebody, money, keys, you-name-it. Anything either coming into the house or going out of the house landed there.


I couldn't stand it!

I like clean countertops. I don't like clutter.

When we were designing our new home, we decided to put in a high counter to sit at. You know, like a bar with high stools. The problem? Our kitchen is right next to our family entryway. I was not going to repeat this drop-off-spot thing.

I created an outbox in our entrance. Nothing fancy, just a plastic tub. Anything needing to leave our home goes into the box. Library books, mail, borrowed things to be returned, cheques to go to the bank, all go into the box. I also have my keys, sunglasses and cell phone in it. Diaper bag? Right beside it.


The box has solved part of the clutter problem on the bar. It's also a great reminder of what needs to leave...when I'm leaving. No more rushing around last-minute trying to find that thing that I borrowed and need to take back.


11 comments:

Miss Lisa said...

I use baskets in each room--husband loves clutter--I am more like you ;)

Laura said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Your little guys are adorable. :) And this is such a great idea! We're moving in a few weeks and I'm going to have to have a basket like this near the garage door.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through Christina. That is such a great idea! I am going to give that a try. We have a bar in our kitchen that is a catch all for things like that!

Melissa said...

You are sooo organized.

Blessed Mommy said...

I am like you, I like a clean and clear counter. My kitchen counter tops have very little on them. I like this idea of a basket, I'll give it a try.

Jackie said...

Love this! I'll have to put a basket in my laundry room, which is next to the garage and where we all come in and out. Great idea!

kristen said...

What a great idea. i have one for all the kids homework and newsletters that need my attention etc.

4under3 said...

Oh, I like clean countertops too. Verymuchso.

Which reminds me...I need to pick up my award and show it off. Don't I?

p.s. I realize that clean countertops and the award have nothing in common. ;)

Renata said...

Great idea!! I think my study needs a few baskets like that - it sure is collecting a lot!

Grace Acres said...

I do the clutter basket too. I love it.

raising4boys said...

Great idea!! I have one of those spots in my kitchen where everything lands...actually 2.