His Precious Name

"Oh my God..."

"Jesus Christ..."

"For Christ's sake..."

These words can be said to mean different things. They can be said with awe and reverence. They can be said angrily and cursing. They can be said off-handedly, in general conversation, without much thought at all.

There are many people in my daily life that use these words without honour or reverence. When I hear it come out of their mouths, especially in a cursing sort of way, it hurts me. It cuts me somewhere deep inside.

That is my God. The one who breathed life into me.

That is my Jesus. The one who was nailed through the hands for something that He did not do. For something I did.

Deuteronomy 5:11 says: You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

That sounds scary. He will not hold anyone guiltless. But fear is not what drives me to honour His name. It is love.

Jesus said, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." (Matthew 22:37)

Please use His name only in awe & reverence. Choose something else for your not-so-nice words.


6 comments:

Miss Lisa said...

Good reminder!

Melissa said...

It is amazing how easily the not-so-nice words slip out of people's mouths.

Renata said...

It is awful when people use the Lord's name in vain. It always bugs me & unfortunately you hear it everywhere - even from Christians. Thanks for this post with it's wonderful reminder how great our God is!

Jackie said...

Preach it, sister. This is a big thing for me...I hear so many flippantly using my Lord's name in vain, and it hurts my heart. What I hate even more is when my daughter hears someone say it...she's now old enough to know, so I am teaching her that we don't say that

Wendi said...

Thank you for saying this.
It needs to be said more often.
Thanks for visiting my blog today.

Grace Acres said...

I'm with you on this issue. It is just ignorance that people think they need to talk like that anyway.