I Really Can Cook...Really

I love food! I love to eat, I love to cook, I just love food!

When we camp, we eat well!!! The yummy stuff...shishkabobs, steak, grilled chicken breasts, ribs. Mmmm, makes me hungry just thinking about it.

This year for vacation, we camped - with friends. We know each other fairly well, but we haven't done many meals together. She's not too fond of cooking, but he loves to. We brought all the regular camping meals with plans to feast between fun.

On days that the other family had gone to do something else for the day, this is how our meals turned out...



I don't have a picture of what our meals turned out like when the other family was there, but I can give you an example:

The moms went tubing. The full loop took about an hour. When we got back, we were wet & cold, so I went to change. I left Dwayne on the beach with the children. While I was at the trailer, I thought I'd quickly put on supper. By the time I got the children dried off and dressed, supper would be ready. Oh, how clever...

I made rice in the trailer and I did fish and broccoli in tinfoil on low on the bbq.

The children wanted to show me this and that and by the time I got back, I thought I could smell something burning. I went whipping into the trailer, thinking it was the rice. Yep, the trailer was full of smoke. I brought the smoking pot outside and went to put it on the plastic table. Yikes, that would have been a bad idea. I put it on the outdoor mat instead.

I took the fish & broccoli off the bbq and opened up the tinfoil packets. It was all black. Which packet was fish and which was broccoli? Hard to tell.

Back to the rice. I took the pot off the mat and there was a huge hole burned in the mat. Okay, that would explain the awful smell that I thought was just an extension of burning food. The pot had melted rubber all over the bottom of it.

I salvaged what I could of supper. By this point I was rip-roarin' mad a little upset. We were going to eat it, darn it, and we were going to like it!

The children didn't eat much (surprise, surprise). I choked down all that I could. I went to tend to the baby so didn't notice how Dwayne fared. Marilyn told me about it later...

She was inside her trailer, nursing her baby. She could see Dwayne sitting on his chair. He'd pick around on his plate with his fork, lift some up, examine it, shrug, try to eat it, wrinkle his nose. Start again. Pick around, lift a little more up, examine it, try to eat it, wrinkle his nose. Marilyn laughed out loud at one point, loud enough to wake her nursing baby.

Nobody complained about it. Not. A. Word.

The worst part? They probably think I cook like that all the time. "Poor Dwayne. He's had it this way for 10 years." It's not like that, really. I am a good cook.

Shortly after supper, Dwayne made popcorn. It was devoured.



4 comments:

Bobbie-Jo said...

That is totally unfair ... to post a picture of that delicious looking taco salad. It's 9 pm and no taco in sight. What am I supposed to do now?

I guess you could prove to me that you're a good cook... :)

edie said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog. I promptly came over to meet you too, but I can't really read your blog. On my computer your "side bar decoration"--the striped wallpaper is all through the text too??? But I could make out that you use FIAR. I'm a new homeschooler this year and using the Well-Trained Mind but I have friends that are big FIAR fans. I hope this problem with reading your posts is temporary! Nice to 'meet' you.

Jackie said...

Oh, this is SO something that would happen to me. Go figure, something like this would happen when you are cooking for other people! :)

That taco salad looks amazing...and it's making me hungry even though it's almost midnight here.

Anonymous said...

Who'd you steal the nice pictures from?

Mortgage Burner