Seven Weird Things About Me

My friend Renae, whom I wish lived right next door (we'd have so much fun!), tagged me in a Seven Weird Things About Me challenge.

Here are the rules:
1. Link to the person’s blog who tagged you.
2. Post these rules on your blog.
3. List seven random and/or weird facts about yourself.
4. Tag random people at the end of your post and include links to their blogs.
5. Let each person know that they have been tagged by posting a comment on their blog.

Okay, here it goes...

1. I have a best friend. Not just any 'ol best friend, but one of those one-in-a-million kinda girls. We've been friends since grade 4. We are so very different from each other, although in the real important things (like loving Jesus), we are bang on. She is amazing and I love her to death. She is great at using for a sounding board and always tells me the truth, no matter how much I don't want to hear it. I think that every woman needs a friend like her. And there's a funny story about her...

When I was in Grade 10, I was totally, head-over-heals for this guy at school. I was the goody-two-shoes type and he was a little bad. Not really bad, just bad enough to be exciting to a girl like me (and my parents sure didn't like him!) She thought that I should run, not walk, away from him. (He didn't even know I existed!) She thought he would just be trouble. Fast forward a few years...she apologizes often, as he turned out to be a fantastic guy - and my husband!

2. I have known my husband for over half of my life. Yikes, I still feel like a teenager in love! I don't feel like an almost-30 wife and mother of 3! My hubby and I met on the school bus. He got kicked off the route that he was supposed to ride (for being too rowdy) and was transferred to mine. At first, I thought he was cocky and a little arrogant (now I see it as confident). Then about a month later I realized that I thought he was amazing. Too bad he didn't know I was alive - actually he says he did but just thought I was a little girl. We started to get to know each other better and even dated each others' friends. By that time, we were just becoming great friends - no romantic feelings involved. I would tell him that the girls he went out with just weren't good enough for him and he would take me partying when my boyfriend wouldn't. He always wanted me to go with him so that he could take care of me and nobody would try to take advantage if I was drinking. Kinda the big-brother type. We would go golfing, to the river, play cards, whatever. Totally only friends...until one day, he wondered what he was doing. We had so much fun together and were crazy about each other as friends. Why weren't we together? Well, we will celebrate our 10th anniversary in July and still feel like the best of friends. We have both changed lots, like a 180 degree turn-around, but we have grown and changed together and I love it!

When I hear the song 'Just to See You Smile' by Tim McGraw, it always makes me think of Dwayne. That is so how he treats me!

3. I started playing ladies hockey when I was 26 years old. I had never even been on hockey skates before, only figure skates (and not often). I am not very good at hockey, yet, but love it and want to play again next year. For the last couple of years I have either been pregnant or had a little newborn at home.

4. I used to be an accountant. I worked really hard to get there and never thought I'd give it up to have kids. Turns out, I am more than happy to be a homeschooling mom and don't feel at all bad when people ask, "So, what else do you do?"

5. I cannot make a trip to the city making three important stops: Red Lobster (their biscuits are the BEST thankyouverymuch), Old Navy and Ikea. And I love Tim Horton's iced capps!

6. People that speak with an accent influence my speech immediately. It makes me feel silly, but I just seem to pick it up.

7. I wanted to name Kobe 'Kairo'. I am so glad we didn't!

There you go...my 7 weird things. Okay, maybe not weird, but things that came to mind. Now I tag Tara, Bobbie, Sarah, Kilikina, Heth, Katherine and HalfMoon girl.

6 comments:

Halfmoon Girl said...

I play soccer, but have had lots of interruptions (though happy ones) in having my children, etc. I used to have to sub off the field all the time to breastfeed! You go hockey mama! I will play. I am quirky, so it shouldn't be hard to think of 7 new weird things that my bloggy friends don't know about me.

Renae said...

I'm so glad you posted! I learned some great things about you. I look forward to having known my husband for half my life - just a few short years away for us.

Don't be shy - I'd love to see your Katy lapbook - even if you think you borrowed my ideas. We're working on Papa Piccolo before we do Clown of God (next) to intro to Italy. We are enjoying it so much!! My only problem is that I'm stretching a FIAR unit out over a month's time. Oh, well!

Hugs,
Renae

Jinny said...

Hey, you don't know me but I'm a friend of Tara's. She tagged in the 7 Things post and I saw that you had tagged her and read your 7 Things. I think that the story about you and your husband is really sweet. :) I reminded me a little bit about my husband and I.
Have a lovely week!

Anonymous said...

Number 6 made me laugh. That is exactly what happens to me and my husband thinks it's insane.

Amelia Antwiler said...

People with accents affect me, too. Especially those from the south -- I learned to talk in Tennessee....

I spent a weekend at a Beth Moore conference with a gal with an accent - and it took me a week to get over. *LOL*

Anonymous said...

7 weird things about your friend Ang,

1. I think in Spanish when I scuba dive. I know right? Why wouldn't my brain work in English? No idea. I guess being immersed in a new environment reminds me of my time in Costa Rica and BOOM! Press the Spanish-speaking button in my brain! No hablo ingles! Loco!

2. My testimony is strangely similar to yours. I wanted to be a career professional until I met Jesus at 21. Needless to say, my life ambitions changed dramatically. I ended up a homeschooling mama who left her career ambitions to love God, serve her husband and help her children to know and love Jesus with all their hearts. I'm so glad my life didn't work out the way I planned it.

3. Speaking of plans, I am an obsessive planner. I love to plan, plan, plan. I plan to plan. Did I mention I might be a control freak? Ya, I plan on getting ministry for that too!

4. Truth is, I always wanted 2 boys. Thought for sure my 12lb 2oz baby package was a hefty baby boy. WRONG! I have 2 amazing girls who make me laugh and make me cry (regularly on both accounts!) I yet am so stinking proud of the way they live their lives in purity and faith. Again, so glad God's plans are better than mine.

5. I am afraid of water. WHAT?! Yes, grew up on the prairies, never learned how to swim. Darn near drowned in West Edmonton Water Park. In order to face my fears, I learned how to scuba dive (I'm a certified PADI diver), went white water river rafting on the mighty Reventazon river in Costa Rica (twice!) and nearly drown an hour after I was baptized in Hawaii. I still can't swim, but I am know how to face my fears and overcome them.

6. And speaking of fear... I am kind of claustrophobic. One time when the kids were little we went to Bubbabaloos and they had all these tunnels kids could play in. I decided the best way to keep track of my kids in this labyrinth would be to follow them! Unfortunately, I discovered my fear of small spaces while trapped in a tunnel 20 feet off the ground. I panicked and had a 5-year-old guide me out of the tunnels to safety. Needless to say, we NEVER went there again!

7. When I met my now-husband for the first time it was on a blind date. After dinner, he barely talked and made very little conversation with me. As we parted that evening I told God "I'd have to be somebody different if I was ever going to marry him!" (mostly because I like to talk and he was so quiet). Well, you guessed it, God had a different plan than I did and I'm thankful every day for it! My husband is a gem, my strength and my steady.

So, that's it. I guess the moral of my story can be summarized by saying that I'm darn glad it didn't work out the way I thought it should and that God's plans are so much better than mine.